Friday, March 11, 2005

18. New Habits


Fig. 18-1: "He's not dead Son, he's just sleeping"

I'm always up for something new, and ever since I bought a new mechanical pencil in Calcutta, my new hobby appears to be drawing sleeping people on overnight trains. I know that this might seem like kind of a weird thing to do, but nowhere on my ticket does it say that I cannot draw my fellow train occupants1, and people who aren't sleeping tend to be so much more inquisitive about what you're doing than the sleeping kind. I have to admit, though, that my conscience does edge in when I think about what it would be like to wake up and find yourself the unwitting subject of one of these portraits.

On second thought, maybe drawing people on trains is a creepy thing to do.


Fig. 18-2: Woman on Train (Not Sleeping)

-----

1. Even if there was a rule against this, I've always been one to follow the examples set for me by authority figures, and apparently Indian Railways employees can selectively choose which rules they adhere to, as we learned last night on the overnight train from Darjeeling to Varanasai, where the conductor saw fit to charge us full fare for two seats that we had already reserved and paid for once, on account of the fact that we weren't able to pick up the ticket from the travel agent in time, although the rules outline a 25% surcharge for a lost ticket. Oh well.

3 Comments:

How are you getting those pictures to the web? Do you have access to a scanner, or are you just really good at photographing things? 

Posted by Karl

3/13/2005 7:10 PM  

That's what I was wondering.
 

Posted by B. Alec

3/15/2005 4:35 PM  

I wish that I was that good with the camera. Instead, I just used a flatbed scanner, though they're way harder to locate than card readers for digital cameras. These particular images were the result of an exhaustive search of the hillside market area of Darjeeling. For those who are interested, or who happen to be looking for scanners in the Darjeeling area: the entire city seems to have one scanner, and one scanner only, though I couldn't exactly tell you where it is. 

Posted by NICK

3/16/2005 8:03 AM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home